Probe begins into corruption detainees

3140 views

Saudi Gazette report

Riyadh — Saudi Arabia’s public prosecutor has begun investigations and opening arguments in the corruption cases of princes, top officials and businessmen who were detained late last year, an official told an Arabic newspaper on Sunday.

Saud Al-Hamad, deputy attorney general for investigations, told the newspaper that whoever is charged will be referred to court for prosecution in cases related to money laundering or terrorism.

Hamad said some of those under investigation had failed to respect confidential agreements while others committed further, unspecified, offences.

Authorities rounded up dozens of corruption suspects in November. Most of them were released after being exonerated or reaching financial settlements with the government.

But 56 people who had not reached settlements remained in custody and could face trial, the government said late in January.

The Public Prosecution has established a number of specialized circuits under the Attorney General to deal promptly with cases of corruption.

Attorney General Saud Al-Moajib said a few days ago in a TV interview that the campaign against corruption had been extremely successful.

The anti-corruption committee under Crown Prince Muhammad Bin Salman, deputy premier and minister of defense, has been able to specify many cases of corruption in public funds, Moajib was quoted as saying by Al-Hayat Arabic newspaper on Wednesday.

The committee was constituted by Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman to investigate all corruption crimes and bring the corrupt to justice.

“The efforts of the committee have borne fruits and you will very soon hear good news,” he said.

Moajib said the Public Prosecution (PP) will continue dealing with corruption cases.

He reiterated that the PP is determined to play an effective role in combating corruption.


3140 views