SAUDI ARABIA

161,242 accidents annually due to phone use while driving

March 03, 2019

Saudi Gazette report

RIYADH —
The Saudi Standards, Metrology and Quality Organization (SASO) has appealed to motorists to comply with safety instructions and directives, especially not to use mobiles while driving and make sure to fasten their seat belts.

Statistics confirm that over 161,242 traffic accidents take place annually in the Kingdom due to the use of mobile phones while driving, SASO said.

SASO said that airbags reduce the death rate by 12 percent and seatbelts reduce death rate between 40 and 60 percent.

Airbags provide protection during head-on collisions or rear-end collisions. Seatbelts provide protection in case of side collisions. SASO said that it has made some safety systems compulsory in vehicles as of 2018 models. These include airbags for driver and front seat passenger, anti-lock braking system (ABS), Brake Override System (BOS), electronic stability control (ESC), and tire-pressure monitoring system (TPMS), among others.

Apart from these, SASO has introduced, updated and approved several Saudi standards and specifications related to vehicles.

Last year the authorities banned the use of mobile phones while driving.

Even touching the mobile phone while driving will be considered a traffic violation for which motorists will be fined SR150 for the first offense.

The fine may increase to SR300 and the violator may be detained for 24 hours.


March 03, 2019
2255 views
HIGHLIGHTS
SAUDI ARABIA
10 hours ago

Delivery boys and food tracking come under updated Table of Food Law Violations

SAUDI ARABIA
11 hours ago

3 drug traffickers arrested in Madinah raid

SAUDI ARABIA
11 hours ago

Over 52 million visit the Two Holy Mosques in Safar 1447