RIYADH — Saudi security forces posted on the Kingdom’s borders will not show any leniency to people found crossing into the country illegally, the Ministry of Interior announced on Sunday.
Three suspected infiltrators were killed and two others wounded in an encounter with Border Guard personnel on the Kingdom’s southern border last week.
The men were apparently trying to cross into the Kingdom from Yemen. None of the guards were wounded in the exchange of fire.
The guards were able to arrest 30 other infiltrators during the operation between March 10 and 18, the Saudi Press Agency reported quoting the Interior Ministry’s security spokesman.
The guards also foiled attempts by some infiltrators to plant landmines on the border.
The arrested men included 19 Ethiopians, seven Yemenis and one man of unknown nationality. Three Saudis were also among the detainees.
Eight landmines, 23 firearms, 32,160 live bullets and 607 kg of hashish were seized from the detained men.
While announcing last week’s arrests and weapons haul, the Ministry of Interior said the Kingdom’s border with Yemen is witnessing constant security threats, including terrorist attacks on border posts.
The ministry acknowledged that these attacks posed a direct threat to the safety of security men and military officers who carry out the responsibility of defending the nation’s borders. It said the Border Guards will not show leniency to anyone who try to cross into the Kingdom illegally.
The Border Guards reported the arrests of 847 Yemenis, 309 Ethiopians and 16 Somalis who were trying to cross into the country during recent weeks.