Pakistan bars 5 cricketers from leaving country

Pakistan bars 5 cricketers from leaving country

215
0
SHARE
Pakistani provisionally suspended cricketer Mohammad Irfan arrives at the office of Federal Investigation Authority for recording his statements, in Lahore, Monday. — AP
Pakistani provisionally suspended cricketer Mohammad Irfan arrives at the office of Federal Investigation Authority for recording his statements, in Lahore, Monday. — AP

ISLAMABAD — The Pakistan government has barred the five cricketers involved in alleged spot-fixing from leaving the country. The Pakistan Cricket Board has provisionally suspended Sharjeel Khan, Khalid Latif, Mohammad Irfan, Shahzaib Hasan and Nasir Jamshed from playing any form of cricket for violating anti-corruption code during the recent Pakistan Super League.

Jamshed is still in Britain, where he was first arrested as part of investigation into alleged corruption in the PSL. The Interior Ministry said in a statement that Irfan and Latif gave statements to officials of the Federal Investigation Authority in Lahore on Monday. Hasan and Sharjeel are scheduled to give statements on Tuesday.

Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan directed FIA officials to carry out a thorough investigation against the five players. Khan said there should be a zero tolerance policy and anybody who is involved in spot-fixing should not be spared.

The PCB has formed a separate three-member tribunal, which includes a retired judge and a retired general to conduct its own inquiry against Sharjeel and Latif. Last week, the cricket board provisionally suspended Irfan and Shahzaib and gave them two weeks to respond to the charges.

Last month, Sharjeel and Latif were sent home from the United Arab Emirates for alleged spot-fixing during the PSL’s opening match. The PCB’s anti-corruption unit questioned Irfan and Hasan during the PSL, but they were allowed to compete in the tournament. Both were provisionally suspended after they gave statements to the anti-corruption officials in Lahore last week.

Sri Lankan media react angrily after Test loss

A newspaper in Colombo has published an obituary for Sri Lankan Cricket following a loss to Bangladesh, the youngest Test-playing country. “RIP Sri Lanka,” read the sports headline in The Island newspaper.

The paper carried a notice saying: “In affectionate remembrance of Sri Lankan Cricket which died at the Oval on 19, March 2017.”

Bangladesh won the second Test by four wickets Sunday to secure its first ever win over Sri Lanka in 18 attempts. It was also special with the match being the country’s 100th Test and helped the team even a two-match series.

NO COMMENTS