Sick Kyrgios pulls out of clash with Federer

Sick Kyrgios pulls out of clash with Federer

314
0
SHARE
Nick Kyrgios
Nick Kyrgios

INDIAN WELLS — Australian star Nick Kyrgios withdrew from his Indian Wells Masters quarterfinal showdown with Roger Federer on Friday, blaming food poisoning for a sudden illness.

 

“Unfortunately I am unable to play today due to sickness,” Kyrgios said on Twitter. “At this stage we think it’s food poisoning, and I’m praying it’s nothing more.”

 

Kyrgios had been due to face Federer after knocking out Novak Djokovic in the last 16 Wednesday.

 

Kyrgios’s sudden illness is a cruel twist of fate for the talented 21-year-old, who has shown signs of finally starting to deliver on his promise in recent weeks after a young career marked by controversy.

 

His stylish win over Djokovic was the second time in as many weeks he had beaten the former world No. 1 after also defeating the Serb in Acapulco.

 

In his statement Friday, the world No. 16 said he had taken the decision to pull out in California with a heavy heart.

 

“After a restless night of being sick I have nothing left and to play a great champion like Roger I need to be at my best to have a chance,” Kyrgios said.

 

“I don’t take this decision lightly, these are the matches we train for, but I’m in no fit state to take to the court,” he added.

 

“I’m sorry to the fans… but I have to put my health first and I hope you understand.”

 

Federer, meanwhile, tweeted his support to the Australian youngster.

 

“Hope you feel better @NickKyrgios,” the Swiss ace remarked.

 

Federer now advances to the semifinals where he will take on the winner between American Jack Sock and Japan’s Kei Nishikori. — AFP

NO COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY