DUBAI — UEFA President Michel Platini renewed his call Thursday for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar to be switched to the winter to avoid the crushing heat of a Gulf summer and shared with neighboring countries.
A winter tournament would be “good for everyone” — organizers, spectators and the media, the head of European football’s governing body told the Dubai International Sports Conference.
“It would be a good thing” if the tournament were shared with neighboring Gulf states, Platini added, recalling that he had nonetheless backed Qatar’s bid to host it.
Qatar has undertaken to air-condition all of the stadiums for 2022, but there has been criticism of the cost and environmental impact, as well as of the outdoor temperatures facing traveling fans. Platini has warned that temperatures could reach 55 degrees Celsius (131 degrees Fahrenheit) in summer.
The UEFA chief has previously called for the tournament to be played between November and December 2022, to avoid a clash with the January 2022 Winter Olympics, but that has raised issues with big European clubs as it clashes with their domestic seasons.
Brazil legends to play in Myanmar
World Cup winners Cafu, Bebeto and Roberto Carlos will join an All-Star Brazil team in Myanmar next month as the nation tries to boost its footballing prowess, a sporting official said Friday.
The veteran trio are expected to play in an exhibition match in Yangon against a local XI, consisting of current and former national team players, after talks between the Brazilian Embassy and Myanmar’s Football Federation.
Cafu, a flying wingback who won the World Cup with Brazil in 1994 and 2002, will arrive in Yangon on Jan. 20 with striker Bebeto and former Real Madrid star Carlos.
“As we will have the chance to see nearly all the players of the 1994 Champion team here, both the football industry and fans will get an amazing experience, I think,” said Soe Moe Kyaw of the MFF.
“We are still adjusting the player list of who will come here. We will finalize it next week,” he said, adding the date of the match has not yet been confirmed. — AFP