Sports

Saudi Arabia to host world's richest horse race in 2020

August 08, 2019
Prince Prince Bandar Bin Khalid Al-Faisal and Prince Abdullah Bin Khalid Al-Saud are seen at Saratoga Race Course, New York, in this file picture. — Courtesy photo
Prince Prince Bandar Bin Khalid Al-Faisal and Prince Abdullah Bin Khalid Al-Saud are seen at Saratoga Race Course, New York, in this file picture. — Courtesy photo

RIYADH — Saudi Arabia will host the world's richest horse race in Riyadh at the King Abdulaziz Racetrack next year, with a purse of $20 million up for grabs, the Jockey Club of Saudi Arabia said on Thursday.

The Saudi Cup, which will be run over nine furlongs (1800 meters) on dirt on Feb. 29, will have a maximum 14 runners, with the winner set to land $10 million.

The prize money at the Saudi Cup will eclipse the $16 million purse at the Pegasus World Cup Invitational in Florida last year.

"The introduction of the Saudi Cup as an international race is without doubt the most significant event in the history of horse racing in Saudi Arabia," Prince Bandar Bin Khalid Al-Faisal said in a statement.

"We look forward to welcoming international horsemen and women, the media, racing enthusiasts and the public to Riyadh in 2020."

Frankie Dettori, three-times British flat racing's champion jockey, is impressed by the track.

"Of all the dirt tracks I've ridden, it's the one I like best, as you can win from the front, and you can win from behind. It's a fair track," the 48-year-old said.

"The other thing I like is that the kickback is so much less than on other dirt tracks. I don't know why, but the sand seems finer and doesn't stick." — Reuters


August 08, 2019
355 views
HIGHLIGHTS
Sports
13 hours ago

Aubameyang fires Al Qadsiah into King’s Cup final with stoppage-time winner over Al Raed

Sports
23 hours ago

Al Shabab slams officiating after dramatic King’s Cup semi-final exit to Al Ittihad

Sports
23 hours ago

Cristiano Ronaldo joins Fatal Fury: City of the Wolves