World

Kuwait’s FM calls on armed forces to be on high alert

September 17, 2019
Kuwait’s Foreign Minister Sheikh Sabah Al-Khalid Al Sabah seen in this file photo. — AFP
Kuwait’s Foreign Minister Sheikh Sabah Al-Khalid Al Sabah seen in this file photo. — AFP

KUWAIT CITY — Kuwait’s Foreign Minister Sheikh Sabah Al-Khalid Al Sabah called on the country’s armed forces to be on high alert and prepared to confront any incident that may destabilize the country’s security, state news agency KUNA reported on Tuesday.

The minister also condemned the attacks on key oil installations in Saudi Arabia, adding that Kuwait stands behind Saudi Arabia following Saturday’s attacks on Aramco oil facilities.

Over the weekend, drones attacked Saudi Arabian oil facilities — including the world’s largest, Abqaiq. The attacks have taken 5.7 million (crude) barrels per day off the market, accounting for about six percent of global supply.

Multiple reports quoted US intelligence sources as saying that the attack originated from Iran. US President Donald Trump previously said on Monday that it was “looking like” Iran was responsible for the attack. — Al-Arabiya English


September 17, 2019
280 views
HIGHLIGHTS
World
44 minutes ago

Denmark’s Eriksen awake and stable after pitch collapse

World
hour ago

G7 COVID-19 vaccine pledge 'is not enough', says WHO chief

World
3 hours ago

G7 leaders back developing world spending plan to rival China