World

Lebanon records first novel coronavirus death: Health Ministry

March 10, 2020
File photo of Rafik Hariri Hospital in Beirut where the Lebanese man, who died Tuesday from the novel coronavirus, was treated. This marked the country's first recorded death from an epidemic that has infected 41 people nationwide.
File photo of Rafik Hariri Hospital in Beirut where the Lebanese man, who died Tuesday from the novel coronavirus, was treated. This marked the country's first recorded death from an epidemic that has infected 41 people nationwide.

BEIRUT — A Lebanese man died Tuesday from the novel coronavirus, a Health Ministry official said, marking the country's first recorded death from an epidemic that has infected 41 people nationwide.

The 56-year-old had been receiving treatment at Beirut's Rafik Hariri state hospital, the ministry official told AFP, adding that he had recently returned from Egypt, where coronavirus infections have also been detected.

Lebanon, already hit by economic collapse and anti-government protests, is now grappling with an outbreak of the deadly COVID-19 virus — its latest in a long list of crises.

Health Minister Hamad Hassan said last week that the country has moved beyond the phase of "containment" and was bracing for a more serious outbreak.

Schools, universities, cafes, pubs and other public places have since been ordered shut over fears of the virus.

Sport tournaments have been postponed and cultural events canceled.

According to the health minister, the origins of Lebanon's cases have mostly been traced to other countries.

Lebanon has said it would deny entry to non-resident foreigners arriving from China, South Korea, Iran and Italy, which are among the hardest hit by the epidemic.

But domestic concern is still high amid fears that Lebanon is not equipped to face a mass outbreak.

With a grinding liquidity crunch and dwindling foreign reserves, Lebanon has struggled to secure the dollars needed for medical imports even before coronavirus arrived.

Prime Minister Hassan Diab announced on Saturday that the country would suspend payment on Eurobonds. — AFP


March 10, 2020
130 views
HIGHLIGHTS
World
5 hours ago

Abbas discusses with US envoy Gaza onslaught, West Bank escalation

World
5 hours ago

Biden expresses 'support' for Gaza ceasefire in call with Netanyahu

World
6 hours ago

‘Erdogan may be interested to benefit from Israel-Hamas conflict’