World

Qatar reports 12 new coronavirus cases, raising total to 549

Non-essential shops, services to remain shut from Sunday

March 27, 2020
Qatari police stand outside a hotel in Doha as a medical worker walks alongside people wearing protective masks over fears of coronavirus in this March 12, 2020 file picture. — Courtesy photo
Qatari police stand outside a hotel in Doha as a medical worker walks alongside people wearing protective masks over fears of coronavirus in this March 12, 2020 file picture. — Courtesy photo

Saudi Gazette report

JEDDAH — Qatar reported 12 new coronavirus cases on Thursday, bringing the total number of infections to 549, Lolwah Rashid Al-Khater, spokesperson of the Supreme Committee for Crisis Management, said during a press briefing.

The spokesperson also said that two more patients have completely recovered, taking the total number of recoveries to 43. A total 13,681 people have so far been tested for the coronavirus, she added.

Meanwhile in another significant development, Qatar ordered the closure of all non-vital shops, and cafes and entertainment outlets, and restricted the working hours of all other shops from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m., beginning on Friday (March 27) until further notice as part of the country’s efforts to combat the COVID-19.

Pharmacies, grocery stores and delivery services are excluded from these restrictions.


March 27, 2020
520 views
HIGHLIGHTS
World
10 hours ago

US Supreme Court allows Trump administration to halt $65 million in teacher grants

World
10 hours ago

Columbia student activist Mahmoud Khalil calls March 8 arrest an 'abduction' in op-ed

World
10 hours ago

Egypt submits new Gaza ceasefire and prisoner exchange proposal: Report