Iran confirms mystery 'incident' damaged nuclear site in Natanz

520 views
File photo of the facility in Natanz
File photo of the facility in Natanz

VIENNA — Some damage was inflicted on a building currently under construction at a nuclear facility in Natanz, Iran's Atomic Energy Organization has reported. However, it said there's "no need to worry" about possible radiation release.

The unspecified incident involved one of the "sheds under construction" at Natanz nuclear enrichment facility, Behrouz Kamalvandi, a spokesperson for the organization, told state news agency IRNA on Thursday, according to a RT report.

There were no casualties among personnel and the incident did not disrupt "the current activities of this complex."

The Natanz site is thought to be Iran's prime uranium enrichment facility and a key part of nation’s nuclear program. Calling the enrichment site "inactive," Kamalvandi said, "there is no need to worry about the possibility of creating [radioactive] pollution."

The official said expert teams from the Atomic Energy Organization had been deployed to investigate the incident.

Located some 250km south of Tehran, the Natanz facility was the target of a sophisticated cyberattack almost a decade ago.

The site was also mentioned in the 2015 nuclear deal, which has been in jeopardy since the US withdrew from it in 2018. — RT


520 views