World

UK to treble the size of its base in Omani port  

September 12, 2020
British Defense Secretary Ben Wallace speaks to members of the Armed Forces based at the strategic Omani port of Duqm. — Courtesy photo
British Defense Secretary Ben Wallace speaks to members of the Armed Forces based at the strategic Omani port of Duqm. — Courtesy photo

LONDON — Britain has announced a £23.8 million ($30.5 million, 25.7 million euros) investment to triple the size of its base in an Omani port close to the sensitive waters of the Gulf.

The expansion of the “logistics hub” at Duqm will “facilitate Royal Navy deployments to the Indian Ocean” and “further support British Army training in Oman,” the ministry of defense said Friday.

“The long-standing friendships between the UK and the Gulf states are more important than ever,” said Defense Secretary Ben Wallace as he visited Oman and Qatar.

“Whether tackling Daesh (so-called IS), or making our streets in the UK safer thanks to our intelligence networks, these are hugely valuable relationships that I am pleased to be able to renew this week,” he added.

The port has a dry dock facility which could support Britain’s two aircraft carriers, HMS Queen Elizabeth and HMS Prince of Wales, the ministry said.

Britain sent warships to the Gulf last year to escort freight vessels after Iranian Revolutionary Guards stormed and detained the UK-flagged Stena Impero and its 23 crew as they sailed through the Strait of Hormuz. — Agencies


September 12, 2020
30 views
HIGHLIGHTS
World
hour ago

India passes controversial bill on Muslim waqf properties after fierce debate

World
2 hours ago

Libya expels aid groups accused of 'African' population plot

World
3 hours ago

China retaliates against Trump's trade war with 34% reciprocal tariffs on US goods