SAUDI ARABIA

Council of Senior Scholars lauds decision to limit Hajj

June 12, 2021
Council of Senior Scholars logo
Council of Senior Scholars logo

RIYADH — The Council of Senior Scholars has voiced support for the Ministry of Hajj and Umrah's decision to limit this year's Hajj to 60,000 citizens and residents inside the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia due to the COVID-19 pandemic, citing the move's contributions to saving lives.

In a statement on Saturday, the Council noted that the decision to limit the Hajj for this year (1442 H/ 2021 AD) is part of the coronavirus-containment measures and is aimed at ensuring that Hajj is performed in a safe manner, adding that the decision is in line in line with the teachings of Islam in preserving the lives of human beings.

The statement cited the Holy Qur’an verses: "Do not throw yourselves with your own hands into destruction" and a Hadith warning: “If there is plague in a town no one should leave it or go into it.”

Citing experts' warning that large gatherings increase risk of coronavirus infections, the Council described the Saudi government's decision to limit this year's Hajj as reasonable, responsible and highly needed to protect human lives and ensure safe Hajj.

MWL supports the

Kingdom's decision

In Makkah, the Muslim World League (MWL) too issued a statement on behalf of all scholars under its umbrella, in which it supported the precautionary measures taken by Saudi Arabia for this year’s Hajj season aimed to confront the new mutated strain of the coronavirus pandemic.

MWL Secretary-General and Chairman of the Association of Muslim Scholars, Dr. Muhammad Bin Abdul Karim Al-Issa, said the rules of Islamic law emphasize the inevitability of taking all safety precautions in such a pandemic.

He added that a number of senior scholars of the Islamic world contacted the MWL expressing support for the Kingdom’s decision regarding the Hajj season for this year.

The statement valued the exceptional efforts made by the Saudi government, which clearly demonstrates its concern for the safety of visitors and pilgrims of the Grand Holy Mosque and visitors to the Prophet's Holy Mosque.

OIC praises

KSA’s measures

In Jeddah, the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) Secretary-General Dr. Yousef Bin Ahmed Al-Othaimeen also welcomed the measures announced by the Ministry of Hajj and Umrah regarding the Kingdom’s decision to organize the Hajj season for this year in accordance with health measures and to limit the performance of Hajj to citizens and residents inside the Kingdom, in light of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic and the emergence of new mutations of the COVID-19.

Dr. Al-Othaimeen said the decision emanates from the Kingdom’s success in organizing last year’s Hajj season which was held in accordance with all the precautionary and preventive measures since the emergence of the pandemic which effectively contributed to reducing the negative repercussions of the pandemic and preventing its spread.

The secretary-general indicated that the Kingdom assumes its responsibility towards organizing Hajj, which calls on the Kingdom to take strict decisions and measures based on current health data and well-established Islamic jurisprudence rules.

Egypt's Grand Mufti hails

Saudi Arabia's decision

In Cairo, the Egyptian Grand Mufti Shauqi Allam hailed on Saturday Saudi Arabia's decision to hold this year's Hajj with a limited number due to Coronavirus world-wide pandemic.

The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia decided to restrict observing the rites of this season Hajj to citizens and residents, only, stipulating that the total numbers of pilgrims, shall not exceed 60,000.

GCC chief values

Kingdom’s move

In Riyadh, the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Secretary General Dr. Nayef Falah Mubarak Al-Hajraf has valued the Kingdom's decision to restrict registration for performing this year's Hajj to only citizens and residents, already inside the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, provided that the overall number of them shall not exceed 60,000 due to the Coronavirus spread.

He lauded also the noble attention paid by the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman and Crown Prince Muhammad Bin Salman to best serve pilgrims, in particular, and all visitors of the Grand Holy Mosque and the Prophet's Holy Mosque, in general.

UAE welcomes

KSA’s decision

In Abu Dhabi, the United Arab Emirates has welcomed the decision of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to limit registration for this year’s Hajj to citizens and residents of the Kingdom, at a total of 60,000 pilgrims, in light of the COVID-19 pandemic.

In a statement, Khalifa Shaheen Al Marar, minister of state, said the UAE welcomes the Kingdom's decision and supports all measures it takes as part of its efforts to fight the COVID-19 pandemic, contain its spread and ensure the safety and security of pilgrims and the community.

Al Marar praised the scientific progress made by Saudi Arabia against the pandemic. "The scientific achievements of Saudi Arabia recently testify to the importance the Kingdom attaches to science as the key driver in supporting healthcare and overcoming the major challenges from the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic," he added.

Bahrain supports

KSA's decision

In Manama, the kingdom of Bahrain has reaffirmed its full support here Saturday for Saudi Arabia's decision to hold this season's Hajj, with a limited number due to the ongoing Coronavirus world-wide pandemic and its variant strains emergence.

Bahraini Minister of Justice, Islamic Affairs and Endowment Sheikh Khalid Bin Ali Al Khalifa confirmed that such a decision falls in line with preserving Hajj rituals and meeting Sharia exigency that calls for saving the lives and backing up requirements and world standards to combat the epidemic. — SPA


June 12, 2021
890 views
HIGHLIGHTS
SAUDI ARABIA
14 minutes ago

100% Saudization of malls comes into force

SAUDI ARABIA
18 minutes ago

HRC chief, Mexican envoy discuss areas of cooperation

SAUDI ARABIA
hour ago

Coronavirus patient arrested for wandering in a mall deliberately

X