World

Pope Francis says predecessor Benedict is very ill

December 28, 2022
Former pope Benedict (R) is greeted by Pope Francis during a ceremony to mark his 65th anniversary of ordination to the priesthood at the Vatican June 28, 2016. — courtesy Vatican/Reuters
Former pope Benedict (R) is greeted by Pope Francis during a ceremony to mark his 65th anniversary of ordination to the priesthood at the Vatican June 28, 2016. — courtesy Vatican/Reuters

VATICAN CITY — Pope Francis has said former Pope Benedict XVI is very ill and he has asked pilgrims at the Vatican to pray for him.

Benedict, 95, became the first leader of the Catholic Church to stand down in 600 years in 2013, citing advanced age.

At the end of the Pope's final audience of the year, he asked people to "pray a special prayer for Pope Emeritus Benedict".

The Vatican then said the ex-Pope's health had worsened in recent hours.

"The situation at the moment remains under control, constantly followed by doctors," said spokesman Matteo Bruni.

Pope Francis was addressing a general audience in the Vatican's Paul VI hall when he looked up from a piece of paper and spoke about Benedict's declining health.

He then went to visit him at the Mater Ecclesiae monastery, where Benedict has lived since he stepped down.

Earlier this month Francis revealed he frequently visited his predecessor.

Speaking of Benedict as a "saint" and a man of high spiritual life, he said the former pope was lucid and had a good sense of humor.

"He speaks softly but follows your conversation," he told Spanish newspaper ABC.

Benedict XVI was 85 when in February 2013 he surprised Catholics around the world with his decision to step down, less than eight years after he had been elected Pope as Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger.

Not since Gregory XII stepped down in 1415 had a pope resigned. — BBC


December 28, 2022
120 views
HIGHLIGHTS
World
18 hours ago

US Supreme Court allows Trump administration to halt $65 million in teacher grants

World
19 hours ago

Columbia student activist Mahmoud Khalil calls March 8 arrest an 'abduction' in op-ed

World
19 hours ago

Egypt submits new Gaza ceasefire and prisoner exchange proposal: Report