World

Attackers killed during assault on main courthouse in Istanbul

February 06, 2024
Police officers stand guard outside the Caglayan courthouse after a shooting in Istanbul on Tuesday
Police officers stand guard outside the Caglayan courthouse after a shooting in Istanbul on Tuesday

ISTANBUL — Two attackers have been killed in an attempted assault at the main courthouse in Istanbul on Tuesday, the Turkish interior minister said on X.

The deceased attackers were a man and a woman, according to Interior Minister Ali Yerlikaya. He said they were members of the Marxist-Leninist armed group the Revolutionary People’s Liberation Party-Front.

Six people, including three police officers were injured in the attack, the minister said.

The assault took place at the Caglayan Courthouse just before midday Istanbul time.

The Revolutionary People’s Liberation Party-Front, known as the DHKP-C, has previously carried out attacks in Turkey, including in 2015 when armed members took hostage and killed a prosecutor at the same courthouse. — CNN


February 06, 2024
65 views
HIGHLIGHTS
World
11 hours ago

US Supreme Court allows Trump administration to halt $65 million in teacher grants

World
11 hours ago

Columbia student activist Mahmoud Khalil calls March 8 arrest an 'abduction' in op-ed

World
11 hours ago

Egypt submits new Gaza ceasefire and prisoner exchange proposal: Report