Friday August 29, 2025 / 06 , Rabi' al-awwal , 1447
Header Logo
Leading The Way
search-icon
Footer Header
search-icon
SG
Saudi Arabia
Opinion
Discover Saudi
World
Sports
Business
Life
Advertisements
search-logo
  • Home
  • World
  • Europe
World
21 - 30 from 11084 . In "World / Europe"
Police officers patrol the check in area of the Milan's Malpensa international airport, in Busto Arsizio, Italy, Tuesday, March 22, 2016
Passengers evacuated from Italian airport after 'lunatic' sets fire to check-in desks
MILAN — A major Italian airport was forced to close off parts of its terminal on Wednesday after a man reportedly set fire to check-in desks and caused damage with a hammer.Terminal 1 of Milan Malpensa Airport was partially evacuated after a "lunatic set fire to the check-in area", according to the Lombardy Airports Association."The situation was quickly brought under control after the arrest of the madman who set fire to and destroyed several check-in counters," the association wrote on X.The suspect has been identified by Italian media as a 28-year-old man from Mali. He'll reportedly appear in court for a fast-track hearing tomorrow.The incident happened at around 11 am when the man doused check-in counters with flammable liquid before setting them alight, also...
August 21, 2025

Passengers evacuated from Italian airport after 'lunatic' sets fire to check-in desks

Migrants crowd a wooden boat as they sail to the port in La Restinga on the Canary island of El Hierro, 18 August, 2024
One dead and 19 injured after migrant shipwreck found drifting off Mallorca
PALMA — At least one person has died and 19 others injured after a boat carrying migrants from North Africa was found south of the Spanish island of Mallorca after drifting at sea for almost a week.Healthcare workers gave first aid to at least 18 people, with three transferred to nearby hospitals in serious condition.The drifting vessel was located more than four kilometres off Mallorca’s southern coast after a private boat rescued a sub-Saharan immigrant from the sea who alerted authorities to the boat he had been travelling in.An air and sea operation was launched and the vessel was found with 11 migrants still on board and one body.A further seven people were rescued from the sea in the vicinity of the shipwreck.Last week, officials in the Balearic Islands said that more than 30...
August 21, 2025

One dead and 19 injured after migrant shipwreck found drifting off Mallorca

A multilateral meeting in the White House to discuss peace in Ukraine, 18 August, 2025
NATO defense chiefs hold 'candid discussion' on security guarantees for Ukraine
BRUSSELS — NATO defense chiefs held a "candid discussion" on Wednesday about what security guarantees they could offer Kyiv to help forge a peace agreement that ends Russia's three-year war on Ukraine, a senior alliance official said.Italian Admiral Giuseppe Cavo Dragone, the chair of NATO's Military Committee, said that 32 defenSe chiefs from across the alliance held a video conference amid a US-led diplomatic push to end the fighting.He said they had had a "great, candid discussion.""I thanked everyone for their always proactive participation in these meetings: we are united, and that unity was truly tangible today, as always," he said in a post on social media platform X but gave no further details.Assurances that it won't be invaded again in...
August 21, 2025

NATO defense chiefs hold 'candid discussion' on security guarantees for Ukraine

A police car arrives at the police station in the Paris suburb of Sarcelles
France investigates death of streamer over concerns of 'horrifying' violence
PARIS — An investigation has been launched in France into the death of a 46-year-old man who livestreamed videos of himself being subjected to abuse and violence.Raphael Graven — who went by Jean Pormanove or JP online — was known for streaming extreme challenges and had built a following of more than 1 million people across various social media platforms, including the live-streaming service Kick.French prosecutors said he died on Monday at a property in the village of Contes, near Nice, according to local media.Graven had reportedly been subjected to violence and sleep deprivation for 10 days during his streaming.Footage shared on social media showed several men choking and beating Graven. In one video, the men noticed that Graven appeared lifeless while lying on a mattress and...
August 21, 2025

France investigates death of streamer over concerns of 'horrifying' violence

Putin received a warm welcome in Alaska on Friday
Kremlin plays down Zelensky talks as Trump warns Putin may not want to make deal
MOSCOW — The Kremlin has played down talk of an imminent summit between Russian President Vladimir Putin and Ukraine's Volodymyr Zelensky, as Donald Trump renewed his call for the two leaders to meet to discuss ending the war in Ukraine.The push for a bilateral meeting comes after the US president met Putin in Alaska last week, and welcomed seven European leaders and Zelensky to the White House on Monday.Trump admitted the conflict was "a tough one" to solve and conceded it was possible the Russian president was not interested in ending hostilities."We're going to find out about President Putin in the next couple of weeks," he said on Tuesday. "It's possible that he doesn't want to make a deal."Putin faced a "rough situation" if...
August 20, 2025

Kremlin plays down Zelensky talks as Trump warns Putin may not want to make deal

Istvan Szekeres, engineer of the Hungarian Oil and Gas Company (MOL) checks the receiving area of the Druzhba oil pipeline in the country's largest oil refinery in Szaz
Hungary threatens Kyiv with electricity cut after Ukrainian attacks shut down Russia oil imports
BUDAPEST — Hungary on Monday made a thinly-veiled threat to cut off electricity supplies to Ukraine as the diplomatic row over damage to the Druzhba pipeline escalates.The fresh war of words erupted last week after a key distribution station of the Druzhba oil pipeline in Russia’s Bryansk region was damaged in a Ukrainian drone strike, temporarily halting oil flows to Hungary and Slovakia.Ukraine carried out a second strike on the pipeline on Monday, this time targeting the Nikolskoye oil pumping station in Russia's Tambov region.Hungarian Foreign Minister Péter Szijjártó has criticised the Ukrainian authorities for carrying out the strikes on the pipeline, describing them as "outrageous and unacceptable" and writing that "whoever attacks our energy security is,...
August 20, 2025

Hungary threatens Kyiv with electricity cut after Ukrainian attacks shut down Russia oil imports

US troops at Al Udeid Air Base in Doha, Qatar gather to listen President Donald Trump deliver remarks during a visit he made in May.
Trump rules out sending US troops to enforce potential peace deal in Ukraine
WASHINGTON — US President Donald Trump has ruled out sending American troops to help enforce a potential peace deal in Ukraine, despite him expressing an openness to the idea on Monday..In a phone interview on Fox News this morning, Trump was asked: “What kind of assurances do you feel like you have, going forward, past this Trump administration, that it won’t be American boots on the ground defending (Ukraine’s) border?”“Well, you have my assurance, and I’m president,” Trump responded.A White House official confirmed Tuesday that Trump is “emphatic” about not sending US troops to protect Ukraine. But, that person added, there are other ways for the US to ensure Kyiv is protected.The official added that conversations regarding commitments on security guarantees are...
August 19, 2025

Trump rules out sending US troops to enforce potential peace deal in Ukraine

Jamie Stevenson (left) and James White were both involved in drug smuggling
'Game of chess' to keep gangsters apart in Scottish jail as attacks rise
GLASGOW — The jailing of hundreds of Scottish gangsters has left prison staff playing what has been described as "a daily game of chess" as they try to keep violent rivals apart.The Scottish Prison Service says more inmates are being held in segregation than ever before, amid a rise in attacks linked to serious organised crime groups (SOCGs).The service's chief executive says the recent gangland feud in central Scotland has raised the temperature behind bars, and that staff are carrying out "a heroic task" in overcrowded jails.The Prison Officers' Association says many of its members have been left fearing for their safety because of threats and intimidation from gang-affiliated criminals.Justice Secretary Angela Constance said the Scottish government was...
August 19, 2025

'Game of chess' to keep gangsters apart in Scottish jail as attacks rise

Ukrainian rescuers, city workers and local residents gather in front of a destroyed residential building after an air attack in Kharkiv, on Monday.
Russia launches largest aerial assault on Ukraine since July
KYIV — As US President Trump met his Ukrainian counterpart Volodymyr Zelensky and European leaders at the White House yesterday - Russia launched its heaviest aerial attack on Ukraine since July.The Ukrainian Air Force said Russia launched 270 drones and 10 missiles overnight, which is the largest aerial attack on Ukraine since July 31, according to a CNN tally.Four missiles and 16 drones slipped through Ukraine’s air defenses, the air force statement showed.Russia’s strikes killed eight people and wounded 54 others across Ukraine in the 24-hours to Tuesday morning.Five people were killed by Russian attacks on towns behind the front lines in the Donetsk region, while three were killed and 33 wounded in Russian strikes on the city of Zaporizhzhia, according to military authorities in...
August 19, 2025

Russia launches largest aerial assault on Ukraine since July

Marius Borg Høiby has been under scrutiny since he was repeatedly arrested last year on various allegations of wrongdoing
Son of Norway’s crown princess indicted on multiple counts including rape
OSLO — The eldest son of Norway’s crown princess has been indicted on multiple charges including rape after a lengthy investigation, prosecutors said on Monday.Oslo state attorney Sturla Henriksbø said Marius Borg Høiby could face up to 10 years in prison if convicted, the Associated Press reported citing broadcaster NRK. The indictment filed in Oslo district court includes 32 counts, among them rape, abuse in a close relationship against one former partner and acts of violence against another. Other charges include making death threats and traffic violations.Høiby, the 28-year-old son of Crown Princess Mette-Marit and stepson of the heir to the throne, Crown Prince Haakon, has no royal title or official duties. He has been under scrutiny since he was repeatedly arrested last year...
August 19, 2025

Son of Norway’s crown princess indicted on multiple counts including rape

< Previous Next >
footer logo
COPYRIGHT © 2025 WWW.SAUDIGAZETTE.COM.SA - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Powered by NewsPress
NEWS CATEGORY
saudi arabia world opinion business sports esports life
COMPANY
advertisements about us Epaper contact us Archive privacy policy